Saving Your Natural Teeth With Root Canal Therapy At West Edmonton Dentist
When pain strikes your teeth, chances are there’s an infection inside your tooth. Root canal therapy is a good way of treating this kind of tooth pain.
The treatment is part of a genre of dentistry called Endodontics, a word which means inside the tooth.
If you are suffering from toothache call Donsdale Dental, Edmonton Dental clinic to arrange an appointment with our dentists. They will assess the state of your tooth and, as well as alleviating the pain, will decide on the best way to save the tooth from being extracted.
How Do I Know If I Need A Root Canal?
- There’s sharp pain when you bite into food
- The tooth is sensitive to extremes of hot and cold, and the pain lingers long after the source is removed
- You notice a change of color in the tooth as it becomes darker – an indication of nerve damage or that the tooth is slowly dying
- Your gums experience pain or tenderness more frequently than normal
- Toothache is affecting your ability to sleep and even wakes you up during the night
- Over the counter pain, remedies can’t relieve the throbbing tooth pain you’re experiencing.
How Do You Treat a Root Canal?
Root canal treatment is a common dental procedure that can be done at Donsdale Dental. A root canal involves removing the damaged or infected nerve inside of a tooth and cleaning the root to remove any infected tissue that may be causing pain or swelling. A damaged nerve, also called the dental pulp, may cause your tooth to die in which case it must be removed for you to retain your tooth and stave off infection. Once the dental pulp is removed, the root is filled with a special filling material called gutta-percha and a dental restoration is then placed. A crown is highly recommended to prevent future fracture or wear of a root canaled tooth.
All of our root canals are performed with an anesthetic so you can rest assured that you will remain comfortable during your procedure. To learn more about how we can help your smile, contact Donsdale Dental Clinic, and we’ll be happy to answer all of your questions.